Pack the Sweats and Pull Out the Pony
It’s always exciting when fall appears on the horizon of summer, bringing a wave of anticipation for fresh new beginnings.
This year is especially exciting as we emerge from our Covid cocoons to see what’s making the runways and being featured as hairstyles to complete The Whole Package. Here’s what we can expect for Autumn 2021 trends in fashion and hair.
- The Return of Glitz and Glam ~ For those who are sick of sweats, we’re seeing a return to the opulence of the roaring twenties and eclectic 80s. Sequins, bows, lace, and layers of silk and chiffon adorn columnar cuts. Flapper dresses are making a huge comeback, peeking out from beneath long coats. And yes, we can officially hail the return of the LBD.
- The Evolution of Elevated Basics ~ For those for whom comfort is here to stay, we’re seeing minimalist basics that are office ready. We’ve learned from our quarantine uniforms, reinventing them in simple styles and quality fabric made for comfort but still polished and business smart. Cozy knits in tops, bottoms, dresses, and sets are everywhere, in uncomplicated styles fabricated from superior materials. The midi skirt is this year’s length of choice.
- The Gentlemen are Back ~ Tailored, menswear-inspired pieces abound, again with an emphasis on fine fabrics and fit. Timeless suits and button-downs are loose or belted. Gatsby pleats and relaxed silhouettes also reflect our recent celebration of comfort clothing. And the vest is making a huge comeback, in fine wools, knits, and statement colors.
To accompany these directions in fashion, hair responds accordingly:
- On The Side ~ deep side parts and asymmetrical boy bobs, sleek and slicked back, are complementing the menswear trends.
- Soften the Hard Lines ~ Mullets and Curtain Fringe are only picking up fashion steam, with gentle waves and texture to introduce movement to minimalist styles. Wide bands of highlights, one shade lighter than the base color, are still going strong from last season, bringing depth and dimension to color and cut.
- Flashing Red ~ In color, red is everywhere, in shades that range from deep auburns to tones of blush and bright pink.
- Fuss Free ~ Many people adopted a low maintenance style and routine during Covid, and now that they’re back to the Salon, they want to retain that simplicity with precision cuts in towel-and-go styles.
These are just a handful of styles and trends that are out there for fall 2021.
As always, talk to your fashion advisers and salon professionals to help find you the look of the season that’s just right for you!
It has been super encouraging to hear from so many of you that you look forward to each HairLine blog post and more content in the future. As always, please keep sending your feedback and suggestions for upcoming topics here. I want to cover the subjects that are of most interest to our HairLine family of readers. Thanks to each of you for being such a valued voice in our conversation.